Page 57 - Garrett County & Deep Creek - 2019/2020 Visitor Guide
P. 57

This quaint town north of McHenry got its unusual name in the 1700s. Around 1751, George Deakins received a land grand
from King George II, for 600 acres of land anywhere in Western Maryland. Deakins sent out two different groups of engineers to look for the best land. When the two groups returned with their maps, they found they had each surveyed the same tract of land by accident. Hence, Deakins chose the area for settlement and it became known as “The Accident Tract.”
Drane House, the oldest known structure in Garrett County, is on the National Register of Historic Places. There is a Memorial Garden on the property, where the local Garden Society plants heirloom vegetables and flowers.
Accident’s biggest annual event is the Fourth of July Homecoming. A parade, concerts, games and good food draw residents and visitors to the town.
Two major employers — Phenix Technologies Inc and Garrett Container Systems Inc. — are located in Accident.
Population: 314 Elevation: 2,415 Incorporated: 1916
Deer Park
During the 1800s, this small town east of Oakland was a favorite resort for the wealthy and famous in the Baltimore-Washington area. Three presidents (Grant, Harrison
and Cleveland) vacationed at the Deer Park Hotel, and a fourth (McKinley) visited before he ascended to the presidency. While the hotel was razed in 1942, a marker commemorates its former site.
Deer Park is experiencing a rebirth in
other ways, with new water and sewer lines being installed and new construction being planned. Historic homes and buildings are undergoing restoration. Deer Park is the source of Deer Park Natural Spring Water and is home to the Flying Scot Sailboat Company, which manufactures state-of-the- art fiberglass boats.
The area’s elegant vacation tradition remains alive at the Deer Park Inn. Housed in a Victorian cottage, the inn and restaurant contain many period furnishings, including some from the Deer Park Hotel.
Population: 369 Elevation: 2,441 feet Incorporated: 1884  55

   55   56   57   58   59